Have you ever made the spanish cousin of Sauerkraut?? It is called Spicy Cortido.
Spicy Cortido! One of my favorite ferments is so easy and quick to make. I love to make this while the peppers and the fall cabbage are in season. I buy from my local farmer who grows the most amazing cabbage. This originated in Latin America. Traditional recipes have pineapple vinegar as part of the ingredients.
|Spicy Cortido|| |
- Homemade Pineapple Whey
- 2 Pineapple: core and skin
- 4 quarts filtered water
- 2 fresh chili's
- 4 Tbs. whey or another starter of your choice if dairy free, I love body ecology vegetable starter- a great Gaps friendly dairy free option,unrefined sea salt is another option as well made from a brine
- 1 bunch fresh mint leafs, chopped coarsely
- Place in crock or large jar for 36 hours strain and put in jars with lids for refrigerator. It will keep for several months.
- Try this:
- CORTIDO RECIPE
- 2 large cabbage
- 2 Cup carrots shredded
- 3 medium onions- sliced thin
- 2½ Tb. Oregano-fresh,chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic-fresh, chopped
- 2-4 red peppers( hot) your choice of fresh varieties
- 2 TB. Unrefined sea salt
- 2 Cups Pineapple Whey- Homemade
- Mix all to release juices, except the whey mixture and pound to release juices. Place into crock with weights. Pour over your homemade whey to cover leaving 1 inch of head space. Let sit for 2 weeks -3weeks and move to cold storage or refrigerator. Another option is to put into jars with airlock.